Description is a meta tag used to define a short description of the content of a web page. It is displayed in the output of search engines under the title and URL. The description is placed inside the < head >…< /head > element of the page and looks like this:
< meta name="description" content="This is an example of a description meta tag. This text will be displayed in search results." >
< /head >
If you are going to install WordPress on hosting , you can write the description of each page of the site directly from the engine admin after installing the Yoast SEO or All in One SEO Pack plugin.
Does the description affect the ranking of the site
In September 2009, in the official blog of the Google company for webmasters, the news appeared that neither the description nor the keywords are factors in the ranking of sites. At the same time, it is often possible to increase the flow of visitors only after correctly defining the goal of the description tag. What does this mean and why does this happen?
Description is a meta tag that plays a huge role in what your CTR will be. This abbreviation is deciphered as Click-Through Rate and indicates the ratio of the number of transitions to a specific page of the site from the output results to the total number of its impressions. For example, if a link to a blog or online store page is shown 200 times in a series of queries, of which it was clicked 10 times, the CTR will be 10/200*100 = 5%.
Now that you know what a description is and why it is needed, read about how to write it. By applying the following recommendations for writing this meta tag, you will be able to easily increase CTR. And this will increase the number of visitors and profit from the sale of goods, affiliate products or advertising.
How to write a correct description
- The optimal length of the description is 70–155 characters. In this context, "optimal" is not synonymous with "obligatory". Its length can be changed depending on the situation and remember that it is more important to add such information to the description tag that will encourage users to go to the site.
- Descriptions should be relevant to the content of the page. For example, if a meta tag is created for the main page of an online store for wireless headphones, it should be written about this electronic accessory, and not, for example, about portable speakers or MP3 players.
- The descriptions of each page of the site must be unique among themselves.
- Add keywords to the meta tag , but in no case do not allow spamming. It was already written earlier that the description does not play an important role directly for SEO. However, if the query the user is searching for is in the description, it will be highlighted in bold. Such a feature can attract the attention of the visitor and push him to go to the site.
- Try to include a call to action in the description, which is essentially a description of the site. Example: If the meta tag is for a software solution or online service, add a fragment to the description like "… Sign up today and get a 30-day free trial."
- Special characters and icons often added to the description increase CTR. They should be used only in those cases when they will look appropriate and do not cause dissonance with the voice of the brand and the way information is presented on the site pages.
It is important to remember that writing the correct description is only one of the points of On-Page optimization. In order for Google and Yandex to like an online resource, you should know how to correctly write the Title , optimize the image, increase the loading speed of each element of the web page, etc. Follow the updates of our blog and you will learn about the subtleties and techniques of On-Page SEO. which will help the site accelerate its movement to the cherished TOP-1.
Was the publication informative? Then share it on social networks and join our Telegram channel. We remind you that you can buy Ukrainian hosting from the hosting company CityHost. For technical questions, contact the online chat or call ?? 0 800 219 220.